If a massive solar flare suddenly took down the power grid, would you be prepared to survive? As preppers, we usually spend a lot of time and energy on hoarding food, water, and medical supplies. But how will you feed your family from your stockpiles if there is no electricity? For a time, you can get by on eating cold food straight from the can, but eventually you will want a way to actually cook your food. You might be thinking, “I can just build a fire!” and you are right. That is definitely an option. However, you might want to consider adding a high quality off-grid cooking stove to your survival supplies.
By investing in a good cook stove, you will save yourself a lot of hassle in collecting firewood and babysitting the fire while you prepare every single meal. You could buy a simple camping stove, but that will only get you so far. Today, I want to show you 7 of the best off-grid cooking stoves that I have ever seen. While these are a bit more expensive than your average camp stove, they offer some incredible advantages that really make them worth the investment.
1. Jetboil Sumo Aluminum Cooking System This cook stove is a powerful tool that will make life much easier if you are forced to survive without electricity. It comes equipped with a simple push-button igniter and a sturdy aluminum pot that holds 1.8 liters. Jetboil designed this system with thermo-regulate technology so you get consistent temperatures without constantly adjusting a flame. This stove comes with all the bells and whistles including a stabilizer tripod and a lid that acts as a pour spout or strainer. If you want to give it even more functionality, you can buy all kinds of cool accessories and they are all compatible with the Jetboil Sumo design.
2. Soto Dual Grill The Soto Dual Grill offers a lot of different functions in one piece of equipment. When used for cooking, it blocks the downward flow of heat to keep the temperature hot and consistent. You can adjust the grill to three different settings so you have more customization depending on whether you are cooking meats, vegetables, or seafood. Made of die-cast aluminum and coated with Teflon, this is a heavy duty off-grid stove that is really practical for regular use.
3. GoSun Sport The GoSun Sport is unlike any camp stove I have ever seen in the past. It is incredibly lightweight at under 5 pounds, but it can cook a full meal in under 20 minutes! In fact, GoSun promises the temperature inside the cooking compartment can reach more than 500 degrees. How is this possible? This stove is designed to harness the power of the sun so there is no need to buy gas or butane to keep it running. With no additional fuel costs, it’s well worth the price. I like this model because it’s lightweight enough to pack for camping trips so we can use it now, even when we aren’t forced to rely on off-grid cooking methods.
4. Camp Chef Outdoor Oven If you are looking for something a little more advanced than a regular off-grid stove, check out the Camp Chef outdoor oven! You still get the convenience of burners for quick meal prep and boiling water, but it also offers a way to bake without electricity! You can make cookies, casseroles, or muffins in the great outdoors. The Camp Chef oven is powered by butane and a one-pound canister will keep the oven running on high for five hours. You can bake a lot of bread, cake, or pie in that amount of time! I love that this cook stove includes unique features like a wind screen and an oven thermometer. It would really be a dream come true if you had to do all of your food prep without any electricity.
5. Coleman 2 Burner Dual Fuel Compact Liquid Fuel Stove Coleman is the king of camping supplies and their two-burner dual fuel stove definitely deserves a spot on this list. It has two burners so you can heat up multiple pots at once. Plus it operates on either clean-burning Coleman fuel or unleaded gas. When you fire up this cook stove, you can boil a quart of water in four minutes flat. Plus it closes up into a compact package that is easy to tote around if you are on the move.
6. Esbit 5-Piece Lightweight Trekking Cook Set The Esbit cook stove is the total package! It includes a lightweight stove with an alcohol burner, two aluminum pots, and a sturdy storage bag to keep your cooking gear together. I love that the burner has a screw-on top that fully seals your fuel so you don’t have to store it in a separate container. The pots are heavy duty enough for cooking any dish you dream up and the smaller pot doubles as a lid for the larger one.
7. BioLite Wood Burning Campstove If you really don’t want to bother with stocking up on fuel or butane, you will love the BioLite Wood Burning Stove! Just gather up some twigs and you are all set to start cooking dinner. My favorite thing about this cook stove is that it doubles as a charger for your electronic devices. It automatically converts the heat from your fire into electricity so it can charge your phone, tablet, or flashlight using only the twigs you gathered from the backyard.
Now that you’ve had a chance to see some of my favorite off-grid cook stoves, I want to know which design you like best! Do you already have a great cook stove that you adore? Are you planning to buy a new one to add to your stash? Share your favorite cook stove models by leaving a comment below!